Saturday, March 28, 2009

Ale Tasting: Route des Epices and Jack d'Or

Today, Coolidge Corner Wine & Spirits had an ale tasting. Samples from the brewery Pretty Things (near Boston) and Brasserie Dieu du Ciel (Montreal) were paired with sandwiches from 7-Subs (a local Coolidge Corner sub shop).

I don't know much about beer, but Paul The Distributor was there to explain the drinks while I handed out sandwiches and listened. My first impression was that both breweries are fun and playful. Not only do they offer creative beers (a rose-colored ale brewed with hibiscus was especially popular at the tasting), but their names and label art are also really cool. Paul was enthusiastic about the selections, and he was knowledgeable without being at all pretentious.

Paul asked me what beers I like. I could only name a few - mostly pale ales - but he poured me a sample of Pretty Things' Jack d'Or and told me I'd love it. Normally I would be suspicious of such optimism, but Paul was so sincerely smitten with this beer that I hoped I really would love it ... and I did. It's light and delicious with a nice dry finish. I would not hesitate to order it all by itself, order it with food, or take it to a party.


Paul wasn't as unabashedly exuberant about Brasserie Dieu du Ciel's Route des Epices, an amber ale brewed with peppercorn. He warned people that they should probably take a bite of a sub (served by yours truly) to offset the bite of the beer. My first taste didn't involve any food, and I was indeed taken aback by the powerful peppery bite. I said "Wow" out loud. But the spice wasn't at all unpleasant or overpowering. There are enough other flavors in this crisp beer to compliment its aggressiveness. Not everyone at the tasting loved Route des Epices, and it's probably only meant to go with food ... but I was very happy to finish one of the open bottles that was left after the tasting. It's a very distinctive ale that I would definitely drink again.

No comments:

Post a Comment